The station in Norwich Road opened originally as a terminus on 20th March 1849. Because of financial and political complications, the planned extension to the North Sea port of Wells was not opened until December 1857. Following the nationalisation of the railways in 1948 the station was renamed ‘Fakenham East’ to distinguish it from Fakenham’s other station at Hempton which was at the same time renamed 'Fakenham West'. In 1955 a brand new fleet of diesel multiple units were introduced over the line but unfortunately this failed to prevent notice of closure being served under the notorious Beeching plan. Passenger services were withdrawn from the Dereham to Wells section on 5th October 1964. The line however remained open to a daily freight service as far as Fakenham until January 1980. On the 21st April 1979, the Fakenham Flyer, a special rail tour organised by the Wymondham & Dereham Rail Action Committee and the newly-formed Fakenham and Dereham Railway Society, became the first passenger train at Fakenham since closure to passengers almost 15 years earlier. This however proved to be the very last such train as the line was closed permanently the following year.
* Further pictures of Fakenham's railways can be seen here: FAKENHAM (WEST)
Hosted by Weebly.com Website created in-house by Fakenham Community Archive © 2011